You will
never be
forgotten.
Forum » Chew The Fat » A different kind RetroDaze meetup
Vaporman87
So this year we weren't able to get together for RetroCon. That was disappointing, but perhaps it's a chance to meetup in some other fashion.

I was getting creative in my head, and looking at costs for different venues and events... stuff gets expensive fast. But I think I may have a plan shaping up, if you fellas are interested.

It would be easier for me to set up and lead a new kind of meetup if it's in familiar territory. So, I thought it might be cool to get you here to the great state of Ohio. In particlular, Mason, Ohio... home of King's Island.

The Cincy International Airport is estimated to be about 45 minutes from Mason, so going to and from the area around King's Island should be less than an hour. Those flying in could be picked up and dropped off, perhaps in a van that I rent.

Those driving in will find the area around King's Island easy to navigate from the Interstate, which is nice. It's not a heavily populated city, but instead more like a little town (little is relative, but compared to Cincy, it's Mayberry).

There are convenient hotels around King's Island, and I can cover the cost of the rooms.

For fun, King's Island can't be beat. It's great for adults and kids alike (bring your family with you!). I can buy our Fast Lane Passes and Tickets and we will be free to skip the lines to all the good rides. It's the best ticket program ever devised. Expensive, but to be able to walk right past an hour's worth of waiting will start to make you even feel a little sad for those poor souls.

After our time there is done, those who drove are invited to follow me and my family home (2.5 hours east of King's Island), to witness the amazing area I live in and become jealous that you don't live in the armpit of Ohio. See where all THIS began! From there, you can stay the night at a nearby hotel or head on home.

Thoughts so far?

Quote Disable Sigs

You love this signature.

NLogan
Boo Blasters on Boo Hill looks cool. Thinking next summer?
Quote Disable Sigs
vkimo
I like the idea!

RetroCon is great, but like I said before - I liked just hanging out more than cruising the booths. I'm about a 8.5 hour drive from Mason, so not bad but flying might be more convenient based on time frames. I think you're right too, it's great having someone familiar with  the area so we're not all running around like chicken's with no heads haha
Quote Disable Sigs
ThatDudeintheHoodie
I like this idea. While Retrocon is cool, lapping around a venue multiple times a day gets boring after a while. This would be cool to do. Next summer should be perfect for me. 
Quote Disable Sigs
Vaporman87

Cool! Yeah, sometime during Summer would be perfect. It’s not too hot in May, but by July it can get pretty toasty. Still, it just depends on getting a set of dates that can work for as many of us as possible.

I wondered if doing a three night stay is possible for anybody, or if sticking to two was best

Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
vkimo
That kind of depends, if I drive I'd probably have to do 2 nights, if I flew in, I could stay 3 nights. I know we're in the planning phase, but even a camping trip would be awesome with you guys. I think NLogan would be a great leader for Troop Beverly Hills 
Quote Disable Sigs
Vaporman87
Before bringing this up, I had already started looking for ways to raise the money for a new meetup.

Currently there is some kind of reconnaissance happening among Masters of the Universe Classics collectors... Ebay prices on them have gone sky high. So I'm taking advantage of it and selling off some of my collection (not items I'm keeping for myself, but ones I bought expressly to sell when the time was right).

So far I've raised over $2,000! Hurray for He-Man!
Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
jkatz
I'd like in on this. Hopefully by next summer I'll be able to travel.
Quote Disable Sigs
The women of New Vegas ask me a lot if there's a Mrs. New Vegas. Well, of course there is! You're her. And you're still just as perfect as the day we met.
Vaporman87

@jkatz: We’d love to have you finally get in on one.

Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
Vaporman87

Woohoo! I’ve raised $3,000 for a meetup now

Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
ThatDudeintheHoodie
Sweet!

Quote Disable Sigs
Go to page: