You will
never be
forgotten.
Forum » Retro Music » Rush (Progressive Rock band from back in the 1970's to the late 2010's)
RetroSnob88

Hi. How many of you know what the band Rush is?

For those who don't know who Rush are, they were a Canadian Progressive Rock (lengthy more sophisticated Rock music for stoners and nerds. Very prominent in the 70's but has since become a niche genre) band from back in the mid 1970's. They released 19 studio albums, 7 live albums and even have two documentaries out. While they never really caught the attention of the mainstream, these 3 nerdy dudes from Canada managed to at least keep their noses clean for the most part (how many Rock acts do you know who have even done that? Heck, the less I say about Steven Tyler, Jimmie Page, John Lennon, Elvis Presley, and their major scandals (Google them. Or don't if you don't like hearing the truth. Just sayin), the better).

At the end of the day, they played what they wanted to, not what everybody likes (they left playing what everybody likes to Aerosmith lol) and for that, they truly were an end all be all stand out band. They disbanded in early 2018 but left quite a legacy snd obtained a large and loyal cult following. 

For those of you who know about this outstanding cult band, do you like these guys? If so, favourite songs and/or albums? 

All 3 members of Rush from L-R: Alex Lifeson (Guitarist, backing vocalist, and founding member), Neil Peart (Drummer, percussionist, and songwriter), and Geddy Lee (lead vocalist, bassist, keyboardist, and founding member)

Quote Disable Sigs

Suicide is painless
It brings on many changes
And I can take or leave it if I please

~The chorus to the love theme from M*A*S*H (one of the greatest franchises of yesteryear)

RetroSnob88

Guess I'll go first then. I am sooooooooooooo a huge fan of Rush. I have been since I was 15 and intend on doing so until I die. To me, they were the greatest band in the history of forever. 

As for albums, hands down, my 3 most favourites are Counterparts (Copyright 1993, Anthem Records in association with Atlantic Records), A Farewell to Kings (Copyright 1977, Anthem Records in association with Mercury Records), and the misunderstood but still fantabulous Caress of Steel (Copyright 1975, Anthem Records in association with Mercury Records). 

And then there's their songs. I love Something For Nothing from 2112 (copyright 1976, Anthem Records in association with Mercury Records), Xanadu from A Farewell to Kings (Copyright 1977, Anthem Records in association with Mercury Records), Circumstances from Hemispheres (Copyright 1978, Anthem Records in association with Mercury Records), The Fountain of Lamneth from Caress of Steel (Copyright 1975, Anthem Records in association with Mercury Records), Double Agent and Nobody's Hero from Counterparts (Copyright 1993, Anthem Records in association with Atlantic Records), The Stars Look Down from Vapor Trails (Copyright 2002, Anthem Records in association with Atlantic Records), Red Barchetta from Moving Pictures (Copyright 1981, Anthem Records in association with Mercury Records) and The Body Electric from Grace Under Pressure (Copyright 1983, Anthem Records in association with Mercury Records). And this is just to name several songs I enjoy by them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~Photo courtesy of Tumblr

All copyrights acknowledged where necessary

Quote Disable Sigs
Suicide is painless

~The chorus to the love theme from M*A*S*H (one of the greatest franchises of yesteryear)
RetroSnob88

More trivia factoids about Rush

Studio album discography 

Rush* (1974)

Fly By Night** (1975)

Caress of Steel (1975)

2112 (1976)

A Farewell to Kings (1977)

Hemispheres (1978) 

Permanent Waves (1980)

Moving Pictures (1981)

Signals (1982)

Grace Under Pressure (1983)

Power Windows (1985)

Hold Your Fire (1987)

Presto*** (1989)

Roll the Bones (1991)

Counterparts (1993) 

Test For Echo (1996)

Vapor Trails (2002)

Snakes and Arrows (2007)

Clockwork Angels**** (2012)

*First album and the only one with original drummer John Rutsey (b 1952 d 2008) 

**First album to feature Neil Peart 

***First album on Atlantic Records 

****First and only album on Sanctuary Records

Live albums not counting multi disc boxsets

All The World's a Stage (1976)

Exit Stage Left (1982)

A Show of Hands (1988)

Different Stages (1998)

Rush in Rio (2003) 

Snakes and Arrows Tour (2008)

Time Machine Tour (2014)

Quote Disable Sigs
Suicide is painless

RetroSnob88

Celebrities who are huge Rush fans: Stephen Colbert, Tim McGraw (surprisingly), one of the judges that used to be on The Voice, Peter Dinklage, Jack Black, Jason Mamosasoa (I think that's his last name? The feminine looking beard dude guy what played Aquaman in 2019 and every girl fangasms at the photos of him), Robb Wells from The Trailer Park Boys, Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails, Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins, Ryan Reynolds and more

Quote Disable Sigs
Suicide is painless

RetroSnob88

As I mentioned in a previous comment, the band had one other drummer before Neil joined in 1974: John Rutsey. The band did one album with him and that was their first. The reason he left was because following the song Working Man gaining a cult following in the Midwestern US, Rush were scheduled to play their first US tour. Only one problem: John was diabetic and wasn't taking good care of himself. He was dismissed for his health. After Rush, John took up body building. He even managed to keep in touch with Alex until the early 90's. John died of a heart attack in 2008 at the age of 55. Here's a photo of what he looked like (he's the dude on the right).

~Photo Courtesy of Google

Quote Disable Sigs
Suicide is painless

Vaporman87

Rush seems to be one of those bands that have people divided to extremes. Most people either love them or despise them. 

Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
Mr Magic

Chester Cheetah sure has a thing for Rush.

Quote Disable Sigs
"Magic can happen to you."

RetroSnob88

Ugh! I hate Family Guy 

Quote Disable Sigs
Suicide is painless

Linux_Sage

Rush was one of the first bands I started liking as a really young kid. So they're pretty nostalgic for me. Back in 2015 I saw a live concert with them and it was great! Was my first experience at a concert

Quote Disable Sigs
Wir sprechen zu viel, aber wir sehen zu wenig.
vkimo

I remember Salty Chuck from RJ was a huge Rush Fan. I really like Tom Sawyer and Freewill. 

Quote Disable Sigs
Mr Magic

Fly By Night is a great one.

Quote Disable Sigs
"Magic can happen to you."

Go to page: