You will
never be
forgotten.
Forum » Chew The Fat » TV programs that surprised you
Vaporman87
Since ThatDudeInTheHoodie came out as our resident "bronie", the thought occurred to me that we all have, at one time or another, found ourselves drawn to a program that we never would have dreamed we'd enjoy. And although My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is NOT one of those for me, there are a couple that I do find fun and entertaining (though I won't be attending any Cons for them )

-Zig and Sharko

I recently discovered this series of 7 minute cartoons on Netflix (the first season, that is). I was immediately laughing out loud. It reminds me so much of a mix between Tom & Jerry and Ren and Stimpy. None of the characters actually speak any dialogue. They just cry, laugh, grunt, squeal, and various other noises.

The premise of the show is that Zig, a hyena stuck on a volcanic island, is desperately wanting to eat Marina; a mermaid that lives nearby. Standing in his way is a buff great white shark called, well... Sharko. He loves Marina and isn't about to let her be eaten. Hilarity ensues.

The program was developed in France, but since no dialogue is used in the cartoon, it can appeal to a large swath of humanity. Who knew the French could be so funny?

Barbie: Life In The Dreamhouse

Typically when I have been forced to watch something that stars Barbie, I know what I am going to get. Barbie and her friends in some magical land trying to help out somebody in need, with maybe a little humor thrown in for good measure. 

So when I first saw an episode of this show, it was a real breath of fresh air. Barbie: Life In The Dreamhouse is anything but your typical Barbie program. It is more of a Barbie parody than anything. If you could take Barbie from "Toy Story 3" and put reality tv cameras in her home to watch what happens, this would be the result. The characters are exaggerations of themselves to the Nth degree, and constant jabs at Barbie are made. Jokes tackling Barbie's age, series of careers, love life, fashion, and more are tossed in one right after the other. It appeals to those who enjoy Barbie, those who hate Barbie, and those who are indifferent. There is something in it for everyone. 

Quote Disable Sigs

You love this signature.

vkimo
Are these shows you found your kids watching and you enjoyed? Or are you actively searching for animated Barbie content?

Surprisingly Lost and The Office were 2 shows I was "hatin' on" when they were on tv, then when I actually watched, I was hooked. I don't think I have any guilty pleasure girly/kiddy shows I enjoy as of the now though.
Quote Disable Sigs
Mr Magic

Arthur.

I was amazed at how good it was when I first saw it.

It's not just another cartoon for small children. Anyone can appreciate it.

Quote Disable Sigs
"Magic can happen to you."

Vaporman87
vkimo: The Zig and Sharko show was something I chose to watch with the kids, while looking for something to watch together with them. The Barbie show was something my daughter chose to watch, and I found myself laughing at. Then there are those shows that your kids watch and you find yourself watching because it dumbfounds you how it can possibly be entertaining. 
Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
shakin steak
I can't think of any that are really surprised me.  I don't have kids to get me interested in anything against my instincts, and I'm fairly openminded to begin with.  But there are some shows I like that maybe my demographic isn't supposed to.

The Mighty B! is about a dorky nine year old girl scout with a big imagination.

The show was co-created by Amy Poehler, who also voices the main character. She says she wanted "a strong female character who didn't have too many rainbows and unicorns." I think it's great to have something that little girls can identify with, that doesn't force "girly", pink, submissiveness on them. Something to counter the genderization of the toy aisle. The cartoon was actually made with adult audience members in mind. It's frenetic and hyper, like Ren & Stimpy, or another show, one that actually did surprise me...

Spongebob Squarepants is about a sponge who lives under the sea in a pineapple with his best friend Patrick Starfish and works in a diner or something. 

I've only been able to see one or two episodes since this isn't on Netflix, but I look forward to more.  As I said, this is a fast-paced show that looks like it's for kids, but there is a lot of humor that works for adults too. When this show first came out, I ignored it. It looked annoying, too bright and loud. Little did I know therein lay the appeal. I started to come around about ten years ago, when I lived on a little street in a poor section of Philadelphia. One of my neighbors who took care of all the kids on the block was adamant about a Spongebob pillow she had. I was perplexed and she explained to me what a good show it is.

Jem and the Holograms is about a rock band whose secret identities are teenage girls who live in a shelter.

When I was a kid there was no reason for me to like this show.  It was for girls, it was serious in tone, and it was about rock music (which I had no understanding of at the time.)  As an adult, I like all of those things.  And glam rock fashion, which is on exhibit here in spades.  I first heard about this show from a female coworker my age who watched it when she was a kid.  I didn't know anything about it, but when it showed up in my Netflix suggestions years later, I checked it out and enjoyed it.
Quote Disable Sigs
Vaporman87
Jem is excitement... oooohhh Jem... glammer and glitter... fashion and fame... 

Great. Now that song is in my head for good.
Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
shakin steak
There are worse songs you could have stuck in your head. 

I'm gonna check out that Zig and Sharko and the Barbie show. 

I like The Office.  Absolutely zero interest in Lost or Arthur.  Maybe those would surprise me.  Not gonna find out  
Quote Disable Sigs
Vaporman87
I caught just about all of Lost. To be honest, I think I was a little disappointed by the end of it, but I think some of that arose from the fact that there was still so much they could have done with the series to flesh out what was really going down. I feel the same way about Heroes, but they're bringing that series back, so we'll see what happens there.
Quote Disable Sigs
You love this signature.
pikachulover
The Middle. The pilot was just awful! But the series got better as it progressed. It was the same for Raising Hope. Although the season 4 episodes seem to be hit or miss lately. 
Quote Disable Sigs
Mr Magic

pikachulover wrote :

The Middle. The pilot was just awful! But the series got better as it progressed. It was the same for Raising Hope. Although the season 4 episodes seem to be hit or miss lately. 
-end quote

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Raising Hope has been cancelled.

Quote Disable Sigs
"Magic can happen to you."

Jrs1991
thecrow174 wrote :

pikachulover wrote :

-end quote

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Raising Hope has been cancelled.

-end quote

WHAT. That stinks.  They always cancel everything good. So that's one less good thing on tv and there isn't much.
Quote Disable Sigs
Go to page: